Journeyperson Oil Burner Mechanic
- Experience life and make a difference in one of Canada's northernmost communities!
- Be rewarded with a $44.35/hour wage plus a Northern Allowance of $14.63/hour!
- Excel as an OBM in this uniquely rewarding role!
About Nunavut Housing Corporation (NHC)
The Nunavut Housing Corporation (NHC) is an agency of the Government of Nunavut, serving the housing needs of one of the fastest-growing and youngest populations in Canada. NHC's mandate is to create, coordinate, and administer housing programs, ensuring fair access to affordable housing options for families and individuals in Nunavut. As part of the Nunavut 3000 Strategy, a collaboration between the government and its partners, NHC is committed to delivering 3,000 new housing units across the housing continuum by 2030.
The Government of Nunavut was selected as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People and recent graduates in 2021. Nunavut is a dynamic and vibrant territory that is committed to creating a better future for its people. As a government, we strive to strengthen our unique model of governance by integrating Inuit societal values, promoting the use of the Inuktut language, achieving a representative public service, and collaborating with partners to achieve the promise of Nunavut.
About the Opportunity
The Taloyoak Housing Authority oversees the maintenance of over 220 social and government staff housing units, and is seeking for a Journeyperson Oil Burner Mechanic (OBM), based in Taloyoak, Nunavut.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Oil Burner Mechanic (OBM) will inspect, service, repair and replace as required all oil fired heating systems to ensure safe and efficient operation. The OBM may also maintain various domestic plumbing systems and appliances, and complete records for all maintenance and demand repairs. The OBM will be a team player, enjoy supervising and training apprentices, and excel at working in a cross-cultural environment.
To qualify, you will have:
- Minimum 5 years of experience at the interprovincial Journeyperson level
- Oil Burner Mechanic, OHST or OBT 1 Red Seal interprovincial certification
- Experience in hydronic heating systems
- Ability to respond to afterhours emergencies on a rotation basis (Standby)
- Additional trade certification (plumber, electrician) would be an asset
- Previous experience in Arctic construction and maintenance would be an asset
- Current Class 5 driver’s licence with driving record check
- Criminal record and vulnerable sectors record check
The successful candidate will be a team player who enjoys supervising and training apprentices, as well as excel at working in a cross-cultural environment.
Finally, you must be self-motivated and have the ability to work effectively as part of a team and individually.
About the Benefits
The successful incumbent will be rewarded with a competitive hourly wage of $44.35 plus a Northern Travel Allowance of $14.63/hour. You will also receive a great range of employee benefits, including:
- Travel costs (flights, accommodations, per diem) paid by the employer
- Subsidized housing provided (shared accommodations)
- Fly-in, fly-out (minimum 6 weeks in / 3 weeks out)
If you are looking for a role where no day is the same, and where you can make a real difference in the lives of others, then this is the role for you - APPLY TODAY!